This recipe is simple stovetop soup that doesn’t have to simmer for hours, and is another great recipe for using up rotisserie chicken!
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 large leeks (Pale parts only)
2 stalks of celery
3 peeled carrots
4 cups of cooked chicken, shredded
14oz bag of cheese tortellini
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
9 cups of vegetable broth
1⁄4 cup of cornstarch
1 cup of half and half
1⁄4 cup of water
1⁄2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 teaspoons of dried tarragon leaves
1⁄4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper – we like this
2 fresh twigs of thyme
Additional salt and pepper to taste, optional
For this dish, the leeks are kind of the star of the show in terms of flavor. Although for some recipes it’s okay to substitute green onions for leeks, this recipe is not one of those! I would recommend getting fresh leeks and not substituting with another onion variety. I know it’s a pain to buy something for one recipe – but unwashed stalks will keep for up to a week in the fridge, and you can regrow them!
You’ll start by cutting all of your vegetables into roughly 1/2″ chunks. Remember you will only be using the pale parts of the leeks
Next, put your oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add your cut leeks and let simmer for about four minutes or until softened. Next, add remaining veggies and the seasoning – give them a quick stir, then add the chicken broth.
Lower the heat to simmer for about 25 minutes or until carrots are soft. Meanwhile, mix together water and cornstarch to make a slurry and set aside. Once the carrots are cooked, remove the thyme stems and add cooked and shredded chicken and tortellini.
Return heat to medium-high and cook until the tortellini’s have softened. Gently stir in cornstarch slurry until broth has thickened, and remove from heat. To prevent curdling: Let the soup cool for a few moments before adding Half & Half.. just before serving, gently (very gently) stir in the half & half.
- 2 large leeks (Pale parts only) cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 stalks of celery cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 peeled carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 cups of cooked chicken, shredded
- 14oz bag of three cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 9 cups of vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup of cornstarch
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1⁄4 cup of water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of dried tarragon leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 fresh twigs of thyme
- Slice Vegetables
- In a large pot over medium high heat add in oil and butter. Once butter begins to melt, add in clean leeks. Stirring occasionally, allow the leeks to cook for about 4 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in remaining vegetables and seasonings. Add in vegetable broth and lower heat to a simmer, cook for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- In a small bowl whisk together water and cornstarch, set aside.
- Once carrots are tender remove thyme and add in chicken and tortellini, raise heat to medium high heat, and cook until tortellini has softened, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add in cornstarch slurry and stir gently until broth has thickened, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and allow soup to cool slightly before adding in half and half. Stir gently once and serve immediately.
Since you will remove the thyme after it's cooked, it is important to use thyme twigs instead of crushed thyme.
Speak Your Mind